WEBSITES

The Chronicle of Higher Education

    Tracking Higher Ed's

        Dismantling of DEI (2026)

   

FILMS

       

Achievement

    Strive (2019)    

    Hidden Figures (2018)

Advocacy

    The Hate You Give (2018)

African American History

    Genius: MLK/X (2024)

    Women of the Movement

        (2022)

    Birth of a Nation (2016)

American History

    Exterminate All the Brutes

       (2021)

Belonging

    The Inspection (2023) 

Biography

    John Lewis: Good Trouble

        (2020) 

    12 Years a Slave (2013) 

    Malcolm X (1992)   

Black Nationalism

    Judas and the Black

        Messiah (2021)

Campus Culture 

    Master (2022)

Class Inequality

   Park Avenue: Money, Power

       and the American Dream

      (2012)

Collaboration

    Supacell (2024)

Experiential Diversity:

    Geographic Location &

    Culture

    Rob Peace (2024)

    The Chi (2024)

Entrepreneurship

    Self-Made: Inspired by the

    Life of Madam C.J. Walker

        (2020)

    The Banker (2020)

Fighting Corruption

    Rebel Ridge (2024)

Generational Diversity

    The Good Liar (2019)

Identity

    African American Identity

    Colin in Black and White

        (2021)

    Roots (1977)

    Multiracial Identity

    Passing (2021)

    I Passed for White (1960)

    White Identity

    Skin (2018)

    Black Like Me (1964)

Inclusion

    Uglies (2024)

    Divergent (2014)

LGBTQIA2S+

    The Obituary of Tunde

        Johnson (2019) 

Life Defining Moments

    Monster (2021)

Mass Incarceration

    13th (2016)

Mentorship

    Safe House (2012)

Neurodiversity

    jeen-yuhs: A Kanye Trilogy

       (2022)

Nigrescence

    Chevalier (2023)

Race Relations

    The Best of Enemies (2019)

Racial Injustice

    Two distant strangers

        (2021)

    Just Mercy (2019)

    Fruitvale Station (2013)

Racial Trauma

    American Skin (2021)

    Lynching Postcards (2021)

    When They See Us (2019)

Resilience

    Big George Foreman (2023)

Revisiting the Past

    Black Cake (2023)

Student Advocacy

    Abducted at an HBCU (2024)

Truth Telling, Reconciliation,

    Healing & Repair

    The Cost of Inheritance (2023)

White Allyship

    Son of the South (2021)

 

DISSERTATION

ON BECOMING MYSELF:

A LONGITUDINAL, MULTIMODAL AUTOETHNOGRAPHY ON THE RACIAL IDENTITY EXPERIENCE OF A MULTICULTURAL BLACK AMERICAN WOMAN (WITH MIXED-RACE ANCESTRY) LIVING THROUGH THE MYTH OF A COLORBLIND “POST-RACIAL” ERA

 

BEGIN HERE ▸
Preface
Acknowledgments
Prologue ▸
“Know Thyself, Know Others” ▸
Part 1: Family Memories, Ancestral Secrets and the Search for Identity
Part 2: Choosing Connections: Influence, Reflection, and Growth
Part 3: Beyond Labels and a Shift in Perspective
Part 4: The Journey Begins, Awakening and Transformation
Disclaimer
Statement of Artistic Intent ▸
A Girl, a Pen, and a World to Escape Into
Building a New Kind of Journey
Not Your Typical Guidepost: Gen Z in the Margins
Rules Were Meant to Breathe, Not Just to Break
If You Peel the Onion, What Do You Find?
This Story Isn’t Mine Alone, It’s Yours Too
CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION ▸
Background
Origin Story
Context of the Study ▸
“Becoming Myself” in the Perspective of Personal and National History ▸
Whiteness as Opportunity: Who Wouldn’t Want to be Able to Perform it?
Caveat: Another Awakening
“Black” History X
Interlude: A White Boy, Named Todd
“Becoming Myself” in the Perspective of Higher Education and a Changing Political Landscape ▸
Living Through the Myth of a Colorblind, “Post-racial” Era
Facing Ominous Predictions
Capturing Nuances
Racial Progress and Challenges
Statement of the Problem
Purpose of the Study ▸
Narrative Accessibility
Racial and Cultural Identity
Multivocality
Intersectionality
Longitudinality
Research Questions
Theoretical Framework ▸
Critical Race Theory in a Post-racial Era ▸
Learning CRT
Becoming Antiracist
Dealing with Racial Issues
Why CRT? ▸
Voice and Counternarrative
Racism as Normal
Interest Convergence
Race as a Social Construction
Intersectionality and Anti-Essentialism
Combating Colorblindness in Education with CRT
Significance of the Study ▸
Offer a Counternarrative
Use Language as a Point of Struggle
Host “the Conversation”
General Method
Limitations
Delimitations
CHAPTER 2: ‘LIT’ REVIEWS ▸
Why Race and Culture Still Matter
Race as a Societal Tool – Unity and Division ▸
Old-fashioned Racism ▸
The Purpose of Lynching
The Practice of Lynching
Colorblind Racism ▸
Interlude: CHESS MOVES
The Black “Exception”
Politics and Voting for the Devil
Interlude: INCOGNITO
Higher Education and Social Justice Advocacy
CHAPTER 3: METHODOLOGY ▸
Introduction ▸
Interlude: The Power in “I”
Reflecting on the Study of Self
Autoethnography as Method in the Study of Racial Identity Change ▸
The History of Autoethnography
The Autoethnographic Impulse ▸
Interlude: I Am “Black”
Unmasking Colorism in the African American Community
Expressing the Interiority of the “Quiet” Self
Revealing Cultural Knowledge as Lived Experience
Crafting “Selves” in Autoethnographic Writing
Embracing the Challenge of Vulnerability
Analytical and Evocative Autoethnography
Research Design
Data Collection ▸
Data Sources: Internal and External
The Assemblage of Self and Society
Data Analysis
Ethical Conundrums ▸
Personal and Cultural Risks
Relational Ethics
CHAPTER 4: FINDINGS AND ANALYSIS: BECOMING “WOKE” ▸
Nigrescence: The Identity Change Process ▸
Understanding Nigrescence
The Nigrescence Process: A Deepening of Racial-Cultural Consciousness
Change and the Embodiment of Nigrescence Theory in a Mythical Colorblind, “Post-racial” Era
Stages of Nigrescence ▸
Pre-encounter ▸
Theory and Analysis in Societal Context: Pre-encounter Phase, Colorblindness ▸
Understanding the pre-encounter stage
Colorblindness in the contemporary context
Historical and current perspectives
Colorblindness and pre-encounter assimilation
The role of educational institutions
The importance of narratives
Concluding thoughts
Personal Narratives, Reflections, and Analytical Insights: Pre-encounter Phase ▸
Vignette: Black and colorblind in the age of Obama
Analytical interlude: Pre-change identity—low racial salience and colorblindness
Reflective interlude: “I was one of them”
Encounter ▸
Theory and Analysis in Societal Context: Encounter Phase, Awakening to Reality ▸
The series of encounters that trigger change
The emotional and cognitive dissonance of racial awakening
Personal Narratives, Reflections, and Analytical Insights: Encounter Phase ▸
Vignette: You people
Vignette: The angry Black woman “be/in” side me
Vignette: The last straw – waking up to race
Immersion/Emersion ▸
Theory and Analysis in Societal Context: Immersion/Emersion Phase, Navigating the Transition ▸
The vortex of change: Intensity, struggle, and awakening
The vortex of psychological nigrescence – intense Black involvement and anti-White attitudes
Analytical interlude: Reevaluating whiteness – the psychological costs of immersion
Towards emersion—the breakdown of binary thinking
Personal Narratives, Reflections, and Analytical Insights: Immersion/Emersion Phase ▸
Poetic interlude: White Flight
Vignette: Entering the vortex and leaving the “ivory” tower
Vignette: “Blacker-than-thou” syndrome
Poetic interlude: The Sellout
Poetic interlude: Recycling the Drama
Poetic interlude: We Mean War
Vignette: The Confrontation Ritual
Vignette: Altruism and the Black Experience
Internalization ▸
Theory and Analysis in Societal Context: Internalization Phase, Embracing New Perspectives ▸
Internalization: Embracing new, nuanced perspectives
Living My Identity with Quiet Confidence
Resolution: The Calm After the Storm
Personal Narratives, Reflections, and Analytical Insights: Internalization Phase ▸
Vignette: The Secret of the Badge
Reflective Interlude: Power, Identity, and Loyalty in Internalization
Vignette: American History X
Poetic Interlude: Wake Up
Internalization Commitment ▸
Theory and Analysis in Societal Context: Internalization-Commitment, Catalysts for Change ▸
Catalysts for Change: From Identity Clarity to Outward Commitment
Choosing a Path: Monocultural, Bicultural, or Multicultural Orientation
My Multicultural Orientation: Building Bridges Across Diverse Identities
Writing as a Legacy: A Book as a Bridge for Understanding
The Life of Purpose – Carrying Commitment into the World
Personal Narratives, Reflections, and Analytical Insights: Internalization-Commitment Phase ▸
Poetic Interlude: “Good People”
Vignette: Ember – The Curious Wonder
Analytical Interlude: Autoethnography as Purpose
CHAPTER 5: REFLECTIONS, RECKONINGS, AND THE WORK OF BECOMING ▸
Framing Clarification: This Is Not a DEI Project
Discussion: Lessons Learned ▸
Is Race Really Divisive?
What’s Wrong With Politics?
Is the Country Really Becoming More Colorblind?
Is DEI Really Destructive?
Is Wokeness Really Bad?
Is CRT Really Useful?
Is Focusing on Racial Identity Really Needed?
Is Teaching Black History Still Important?
Telling the Whole Story: A Reckoning with Race and Culture in Higher Education ▸
What Can Educational Institutions Do Differently?
How Important is it to Gain Perspective in Order to Uncover the Truth About a Particular Situation?
How Can America Be Made Great Again?
What Can Be Done from an Academic Standpoint?
What’s the Problem for Black People?
What’s the Problem for White People?
How Can We Bridge These Divides?
How Do You Story People of Different Racial and Cultural Backgrounds?
How Do You Story Students of Color?
The Reward of Loyalty – Whatsoever a Man Sows
Never Judge a Book by its Cover
The Art of Forgiveness and the Second Coming
A Day of Reckoning ▸
To the Black Community
A Lesson from Every Race
A Call to Love
Love Is All
Implications for Higher Education Administrators
Implications for Practice: When Stories Teach Better Than Policy ▸
Higher Education Administrators
Faculty and Staff
Student Affairs Professionals
Offices of Inclusive Excellence
Faith-based Higher Education Leaders
Curriculum Developers
Gen Z and Black Students
Autoethnographers and Storytellers
Policy Makers
Conclusion: A Collective Calling
Recommendations for Future Research: Let the Work of Becoming Continue ▸
Becoming the Researcher: The Journey to Voice, Method, and Meaning
Tending the Fire: On the Cost of Truth and the Work of Becoming
To Tell and To Tremble: When the Method Becomes the Witness
The Faithfulness of Attention: Refusing to Look Away
Guiding Invitations for Autoethnographic Researchers
Sustaining Yourself in the Work
What Comes Next
Additional Note for Online Recommendations
CHAPTER 6: CONCLUSION: EPILOGUE ▸
“Never Judge a Book By its Cover” Lived Experience ▸
Living in the Limelight
Defying Stereotypes
Navigating Racial Dialogues
Making a Statement
Projecting the Right Image
Unleashing INFJ Superpowers
Embracing My Strengths
Taking a Break from the Norms
Revisiting the Past
Bearing the Burden of Brilliance
Revealing Real Character
Final Takeaways ▸
Creating Safe Spaces
Building Bridges with Empathy and Honesty
Lessons Learned: The Value of Authentic Dialogue
The Apology Protocol for Navigating Open Discussions
BEYOND THE DISSERTATION ▸
References
About the Author ▸
About This Project
About Me
More About Me
Even More About Me
I’m a Work of Art
Notes ▸
Research and the Rabbit Hole
Postscript ▸
To God Be the Glory
Site Prelude
underscored by “Do You Dare” by Rok Nardin
This audio sets the tone for the site.
Listen before you continue.

Caveat: Another Awakening


     “At just nine years old, I found myself thrust into an experience that would dramatically alter the trajectory of my life. On that fateful day, I bore witness to a vicious act of domestic violence, and something inside me withered away—not just due to the sheer brutality of the physical aggression but because the perpetrator was someone familiar. This man was not a member of my family but was allowed to have a central place in my life.  Over time, I had grown to know him, I had come to love him, and then to grieve the loss of what I thought I'd known. . . . 

    This “god-fearing” Black man, a Bible-toting, foot-stomping preacher, appeared well-dressed, well-educated, and well-respected. Yet, he was completely debilitated. (I won't go into all the sordid details, but suffice it to say, I also witnessed some of his most brazen transgressions while he attended to the needs of vulnerable women who could be considered the Mary Magdalenes of the church, women in need of healing themselves.) 

This was the same Black man I had once admired. He was the same Black man that introduced me to the teachings of the one called Jesus. Yet, my perception of him shifted drastically when I witnessed him callously standing over one of his victims, eerily indifferent, like some cruel and wicked king, intent on releasing his inner torment through the sheer force of his hands. . . .

    This was a Black man whose duality I had been encouraged to observe, yet found utterly perplexing. Initially, I was taught to see him as both a monster and a man, then as a man and a pastor, as a pastor and then a savior, and finally, as the devil himself. . . .  And I was left with that wicked impression. No one tried to help me process the pain, guilt and sorrow I felt while trying to protect his current victim—my mother. No one intervened to save me from the violence of my own hands, that forced me to become his Judas, calling the police and commanding him with the all the sternness of a fully grown woman, captured in the righteousness indignation of my nine-year-old voice, to “LEAVE NOW!” No one asked me how I felt to be left with this void, where only my memory of him remained. 

    Oddly, without ever receiving a lesson in direct instruction, I was taught to hate the Black man. . . . So, I hated him because that is what I was taught to do. . . . I was shown how to stabilize myself in a world where, as a woman, I would always be viewed as inferior to a man; the so-called weaker sex, yet possessing it, could be strongest of all. . . . I was trained never to fear a man’s hands, for they could never still or dispossess me of my own strength. I was conditioned to believe that I could be the master, and the Black man, the slave. I could force him to submit. I could talk back, be smarter, correct, chastise, command, treat him as the spectacle that he was and even ‘help’ him to know his place at all times - that he was beneath me. I was taught that he was not an equal and by no means, in any way, superior. . . .  

    If I only viewed him through the eyes of his female victims, those who had given me this real-life education, I could never regard the Black man as someone deserving of respect, admiration, encouragement or support…. From their perspective, I could only see him as what he truly was—a slave, enslaved by his own passions, enslaved by his own vices, and enslaved by the glaring hypocrisies he seemed to blissfully cherish. Yet, when seeing him this way, I could never truly love him…” (Smith, 2018, “The Black Man: A Slave”). 





Gen Z Inclusive Voice: Doomed


<


In the News: May 2024 (From X)

VIDEO FOOTAGE OF DIDDY ABUSING CASSIE IN A HOTEL IN LOS ANGELES pic.twitter.com/WttuaBW7TI

See Also: "A White Boy, Named Todd"